Integrated Approach to Wellness 1: Intro
Introduction to Yoga Calm
This first in a series of Youth Instructor Certification courses will provide you with the basic knowledge and ability to immediately begin teaching PreK-12 youth yoga, mindfulness, and social emotional learning skills.
Overall, you will also learn more than 40 activities and class plans that can be taught in classrooms and other settings to help youth improve their attention, learning readiness, behavior, physical health, and emotional stability. Accessible to a wide range of ages and abilities, Yoga Calm activities were derived from decades of experience and developed and validated in behavior classrooms, general education, counseling settings and homes.
Meeting the Needs of Students and You!
By integrating healthy physical, mental and emotional practices into their daily life, students and staff reduce stress, build resilience, and develop lifelong wellness habits and their associated benefits.
As for the principles and philosophies of Yoga Calm. WOW! I have been in education for 27 years and this it. If we quiet the minds and bodies of these children and educate in the mental, physical, and emotional health they become more competent to learn. ~ Theresa Hansen, Classroom Teacher“
The activities learned in this course are effective and appropriate for all ages and abilities and particularly beneficial for those with attention, impulse control, anxiety and social difficulties. Yoga Calm was initially developed with trauma-affected youth with body-based interventions to safely release stress, regulate the nervous system and develop a sense of safety and control.
This course is designed for educators, counselors, treatment center staff, occupational therapists, yoga teachers, parents and other adults who work with children.
No prior yoga experience is necessary.
Full online and hybrid (online & in-person) course options available.
Other Course Benefits
Through engaging and fun community-building activities, course participants experience firsthand the benefits of the following techniques and how to lead them with PreK-12 youth:
- Breathing and mindfulness techniques to calm the nervous system, develop self-control and resiliency, connect children with their feelings, and prepare them for learning and therapeutic interventions;
- Yoga poses and sequences to release physical and emotional energy, improve physical and emotional strength and flexibility, and develop self-confidence and concentration skills useful for learning and testing;
- Social/emotional learning games and activities to develop trust, compassion, communication, teamwork and leadership skills;
- Relaxation techniques, including storytelling, mental imagery and music to regulate the nervous system, develop imagination and integrate physical, emotional and cognitive experiences; and
- Emotional guidance techniques for use with triggers, dissociation, flooding.
In addition to the course material, your registration includes the Yoga Calm for Children textbook (mailed free of charge in the U.S, $13 to Canada, and $18 to all other international addresses, billed separately).
This introductory course provides you with the background information and basic tools to immediately begin teaching Yoga Calm, including:
- Children’s Health Issues
- Research Support for Mindfulness and Yoga with Youth
- Principles of Contemplative Education
- Sequences for Classrooms, Therapeutic Settings and Homes
- Integrative Alignment
- Breathing Techniques for Regulation and Attention
- Social/Emotional Learning and Communication Skills
- Guided Relaxations, Storytelling & Symbolic Language
- Classroom Environment/Management
- Emotional Guidance, Behavior Support & Trauma-Informed Practices
- Special Needs Students
- Lesson Planning and Practice Teaching
Learn In Person and Online!
Our new hybrid and fully online courses allow you to begin your coursework as soon as you register, with online videos, readings and resources. It’s a great way to learn at a convenient time and place and to repeatedly watch and practice activities.
Get Credit! Get Certified!
A certificate of completion, showing 12 instructional hours, is provided and coursework is accepted for continuing education by many professional licensing boards.
The full online version of this course also qualifies for one University of the Pacific/Benerd College graduate-level, semester credit, 12 Clock Hours from Washington School Counseling Association and/or 18 SCECHs from the State of Michigan. In person course credit, CEU and clock hours may vary (check specific course listing for more information).
This course is a prerequisite to Wellness 2: Physical Connections to Learning and Wellness 3: Social/Emotional Connections to Learning.
$195 course; Includes Yoga Calm for Children. (Book mailed free of charge in the U.S, $13 to Canada, and $18 to all other international addresses, billed separately.)
10% Group Discount for groups of 3 or more. Contact [email protected] for registration information)
Purchase orders accepted. Send PO to [email protected] along with registrant names and email addresses)
Installment billing available. Select “PayPal CREDIT” for 6 months of interest-free financing (requires a minimum $25/month payment).
Contact us if you have any questions.