Giving Thanks Connects Us, Even When Distanced

Giving Thanks Connects Us, Even When Distanced

Whether you observe Thanksgiving or not, it’s instructive to note that the modern national holiday was born in a time even more divisive, contentious, and uncertain than our own – and that it came to be in no small part thanks to the efforts of a woman named...
Presence & Intent in a Virtual World

Presence & Intent in a Virtual World

One thing that saddened me during my years as a school counselor was how many students carried around negative stories about the world. They believed the world was full of bad guys; that people were out to get them. They also felt bad about themselves. Often, they...
The Beauty (& Importance) of Talking with Strangers

The Beauty (& Importance) of Talking with Strangers

I was teaching in a 6th grade classroom one day when I was struck by the way some students were talking about what a dangerous world we live in, with “bad” people lurking everywhere in it. “How many bad people do you know?” I asked. “Oh, not many, really. But there...
Guest Post: Building Community & Trust Walk

Guest Post: Building Community & Trust Walk

Our gratitude to 1000 Petals for letting us share this great post by Stephanie Kennelly, a third grade teacher in St. Paul, MN, on implementing Yoga Calm’s Trust Walk activity for building community – and our thanks to Stephanie for sharing her insights!...
Join the “NO” Revolution

Join the “NO” Revolution

When I was a young teacher, I was given some good advice by a mentor: Start off the year firm. You can always loosen up. But if you start too loose, you will have a hard time getting the classroom under control later. It took some practice to become very precise and...

Pin It on Pinterest