Last month, we shared some of the highlights from this year’s Yoga Calm Summer Intensive, which included our rave review of the food provided by Kristin and Thomas at Still Meadow Retreat. And we promised to share one of our favorite treats from this year’s menu, Thomas’s low-gluten chocolate cake. For not only is it delicious but, as we wrote earlier this year, summer treats don’t need to be unhealthy. Instead of just saying, “No,” we can provide healthier alternatives and, in this way, be good role models for the children in our lives, showing how making healthy choices can be enjoyable.
With this recipe, those of you who were at this year’s retreat can relive memories, while those who weren’t can get a taste – literally and figuratively – of what you missed out on! (There’s always next year!)
Still Meadow Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar (date sugar or maple crystals)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Whip together all wet ingredients separately.
- Mix together dry and wet ingredients.
- Pour the well-blended mixture into 2 greased 9″ pans or each greased or lined mold of 1 cupcake pan.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Image by orchidgalore/Flickr